This is a news recap from last week. For faster updates, follow me on Twitter or check my feed on the right side of the blog.
1) Just in time for summer road trip season, a promo from Best Western where you can get a $50 travel card for every two stays. Note that card does expire in November.
2) Not to be outdone, Choice has a promo of its own, but you get 8,000 points after two stays. All things being equal, I would go with this promotion as long as hotel doesn’t smell like dog’s urine. Remember, you can use 8,000 points anywhere, including Europe, where Choice hotels often go for over 100 euros per night.
3) If you have IHG Platinum status (comes complimentary with co-branded Chase IHG credit card), you may be able to match it to Hilton Diamond. If you have Hilton stays coming up, it’s definitely something to consider because it will get you free breakfast in most properties, plus a potential upgrade.
4) Some improvements were made to an amazing award maximizer tool on Travel Codex. Definitely check it out if you haven’t already.
5) Get 10,000 SPG points for each approval for referring your friends to Amex SPG. Unless you hate your friend, I recommend you tell them to wait. It’s very likely that Amex will increase this offer to 35,000 points again this year (right now it’s 25,000 points). On a related note, looks like Amex has increased the offers on Amex Hilton HHonors to 75,000 points and Amex Surpass to 100,000 points. You can currently get them only via personal referrals, though they may get added to affiliate channels eventually. Feel free to post your referrals in the comments.
6) The sign-up bonus on Hawaiian Airlines credit card just got sexier. Read this post on how to pull up an offer of 50,000 miles. Worth it? Probably not to most, but some may find this bonus interesting. Hawaiian Airlines program is a transfer partner of American Express Membership Rewards.
7) Well, friends, I’m leaving on my Alaska cruise tomorrow morning. I have scheduled some posts written by Nancy, who is a contributor for this site. I really think you will enjoy them. If you love Miles for Family at its most coherent and sanest, boy, are you in for a treat! It may take a few days for me to get back to posting after I return. I won’t have internet for most of my trip, so won’t be able to respond to comments or emails. Sorry!
My husband and I have been joking that we might just stay in Alaska to get away from modern life and all of the pressures that go with it. We’ll get a simple cabin somewhere in the woods and he will become a lumberjack.
Image courtesy of vectorolie at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
I’ll be working in a kitschy saloon during the summer performing songs in Russian because… Alaska, duh! Ah, who am I kidding? My husband is an IT nerd who hates outdoors. And me? I can’t sing.
But just in case we go through with our escape plan, here are my parting words from the song “Laughter lines” by group Bastille (watch this cool video on Youtube):
“I’ll see you in the future when we’re older
And we are full of stories to be told.
Cross my heart and hope to die,
I’ll see you with your laughter lines.”
If you’ve found this content beneficial, please look at Support the Site page for ways you can help keep the blog running. Also, subscribe to receive free updates through email and recommend me to your family and friends. You can follow me on Twitter, like me on Facebook and download my free e-book